8 Tips to Help You Conquer Stress
When stressed, the body releases substances such as cortisol and adrenaline that affect every organ and can cause muscle tension, insulin secretion and increased heart rate. You can’t avoid stress, but managing it can help preserve your health and well-being.
Try identifying and understanding the cause of your stress and finding ways to relieve it, such as these eight tips:
1. Pace yourself. Don’t take on too much. Be aware of your limitations.
2. Set realistic goals and expectations, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
3. Plan time for yourself. Recharge your batteries.
4. Exercise and eat a balanced diet. Get plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
5. Try relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga.
6. Get enough sleep. If you have problems sleeping, talk to your doctor. Drinking caffeinated beverages and alcohol can affect your ability to get a good night’s sleep.
7. Talk with a loved one or write in a journal.
8. Stay positive. Positive thoughts can make a difference, such as “I am hopeful” or “Things will be better.”